Sunday, March 05, 2006

My Weekend in Portland,
or Why I Don't Like Diabetes Education Seminars

OK. I don't meant to sound cocky, but I think I know a lot about diabetes. Not as much as professionals (though I question the intelligence of some Endos Who Shall Remain Unnamed), but as far as most 5-months-til-I'm-21-year-old patients go, there's not much I haven't heard. I read the books, I go to the educational seminars, I'm a member of every message board in existence, I've interviewed a lot of people and I even wrote a 20 page research paper (as part of a 100-page project) on stem cell research.

When I decided to spend $40 to go see Dr. Peter Chase in Portland for the Children's Diabetes Seminars annual Research Seminar, I thought it would be an great opportunity to learn about the latest goings-on from someone in-the-know. Something, you know, about research.

Now, let's pause. Dr. Peter Chase is brilliant. He's an excellent speaker. He addresses people's issues. He knows his stuff.

It's probably mostly my fault for expecting an education seminar addressed towards the parents of children with diabetes to be something valuable for me. Clearly I do not need to be told the benefits of having a basal insulin versus NPH (pumper for 5 1/2 years). Clearly I do not need to be told hypoglycemia is bad (but passing out is so much fun!). Clearly I do not need to be told testing is a good thing (I did the deliquent teen thing and landed myself a toasty 9.2 A1C). Clearly I do not need to be told ketones are back (Oh drat. I do so love the burning, dehydrated muscles, nausea and constant thirst). Clearly I do not need to be told research for a cure is important.

Dr. Peter Chase addressed these issues in a coherant, detailed manner, citing numerous examples and studies for our benefit. It was brilliant. The recent trials at the Barbara Davis Center on the Navigator- very exciting. Promising, even. The FDA passing it in April, with the release coming in June or July? ::Applause:: Abbott's attempt to pass this as a replacement for testing rather than an addition? Risky, Dr. Chase says, but not impossible.

But other than the one slide that showed the 6-month results of teens wearing the Navigator, with the lowering of A1Cs and the benefits of tracking overnight lows, there really wasn't anything new. Except for the details on the Navigator trial, I could have given most of the lecture myself. Step aside, Dr. Chase, step aside.

Which leads me to this conclusion: I need to graduate. I am stuck in the high school of diabetes education and I want to be promoted to college. I know I'm not that smart when it comes to all of this, so please, hand me my diploma of "Persistent Patient" and tell me something I don't know.

I almost thought I scored gold when the University decided to start a new Human Physiology class on diabetes for spring term. Exciting, no? But upon reviewing the syllabus, I discovered this class is another repeat of Diabetes 101. What diabetes is, different ways to treat it, a couple of classes on alcohol and traveling (which might be interesting) and, of course, the importance of testing. Oy vey.

I'm tempted to take the class for the easy A and to get college credit for being sick (which in theory sounds kinda cool). But if I have to spend 10 weeks listening to "Now, remember, test often and review your records to see if any changes need to be made" or "There are many variables that influence diabetes management," I think I might stab myself repeatedly with a lancet.

Honestly, if I hear "basal insulin is better than peaking insulin" one more time, I might just throw my pump in the river as a protest!

There has to be more to this than touting basal insulin and frequent testing. What on earth do diabetes educators talk about at their little meetings? I'm mean, seriously.

Is that it?

Am I not looking in the right places?

Am I being too dramatic or am I really destined to a life of Basal-and-Testing-Cheerleaders-on-Parade?

If this is it, count me out. I'm going to go for a bike ride, feed my chemical dependency on caffeine, and maybe catch up on the latest Cosmopolitan. Call my cell if there's anything new.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that you were not going to do the diabetes thing anymore. Seems to me thats all you have to talk about. Seriously, you have this new blog so talk about something new.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

She's got two friggin' posts on this blog. ONE is about diabetes. I hate it when people leave shitty remarks while hiding behind a cloak of anonymity. It smacks of cowardice.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Allison - I can see where you're coming from on this one. I think some of these professionals should take "experienced" Type 1's and throw a conference - giving up to date info on the latest technologies, what's on the horizon as far as research goes and new drugs/insulins/pumps that are coming onto the market.

You're right - we don't need to be reminded to test and use basal insulins ..... very annoying.

And to the first commentor : I ditto what Julia said. No need to be nasty - this is Allison's blog and she can write about whatever she freakin' wants to write about. Lets leave it at that.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Jamie- I love it! A "Veterans" conference! Brilliant. :-)

Actually, Gina over at Diabetes Talkfest is hoping to put on a conference for adults with type 1 sometime next year. Hopefully that will be a little more mentally stimulating.

Well, one can dream...

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home