Sunday, March 12, 2006

Seven is Still a Darn Cool Number
or Things I Have Learned This Weekend

1. Although I love English and I love writing, I do indeed despise writing English papers.

2. I require caffeine to wake (well, to function properly, at the very least) and melatonin to sleep. Hurrah for chemical dependencies!

3. Vitamin Water is my new Favoritest Thing Ever. Without it, I would be a walking desert. It’s especially great when I’m on the phone at work. Coffee makes me more thirsty (this Caffeinated Beverage of Life is consumed prior to work), water tastes yucky (I’m very anti-water), and soda makes me burp (which isn’t something you want to do into someone’s ear. Very unpleasant.).

4. What is the one thing I hate more than diabetes? It’s a tough one, huh? Come on- think about it. Give up? Working at the University of Oregon’s Annual Giving Program. Amazing, no? Please do not hang up on telemarketers, no matter how much you may loathe our existence. It makes us want to cry. Well, at least me.

5. I am now listed on aforementioned Annual Giving Programs website.

6. I enjoy laughing. Okay, that’s not something new, but these are:

Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About.

Chuck Norris Facts.

And keeping with the theme of Bizarre and Twisted, here’s an oldie but a goodie:
The Very Secret Diaries of the Fellowship.

Better get a box of Kleenex- yeah, they’re that funny.

7. This guy rocks my socks off: Robert G. Spiro, M.D. He’s a Type 1 diabetic and he works for Joslin Diabetes Center. Have we talked about him yet? He has an adorable list of recommendations about living with diabetes, and he was awarded Joslin’s 50 Years Award. But more importantly, check out his “Family and Career” page. He was born in Germany and escaped religious persecution from Nazi Germany in 1940! Then he came to the U.S. and went to Columbia, met his wife, got his medical degree, was diagnosed with diabetes, developed his own blood glucose monitoring system with his chemist wife decades before home monitoring systems were invented, and now lives in Boston where he has spent 50 years as a researcher and a professor at the Harvard Medical School! We could make a movie about him!

2 Comments:

Blogger Johnboy said...

I can relate to #2, and used Melatonin all the time. One day, it just stopped having an impact altogether. I'm still solidly a coffee drinker tho... :p

7:53 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I caught Chuck Norris Facts from Type 3's blog. I never laughed so hard. I highly recommend that site.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home