Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hump Day Update

The papers are done!

Hallelujah!

Praise da Lawd!!!!!!!

Oh heavens, I don't think I can describe in words how happy I am that the Evil Papers of Doom and Despair are written and turned in.

Now I can focus my attention on the Evil Finals of Death and Destruction. Oh joy.

Is it Spring Break yet?

~*~

In other, happier news, today was my last day of class for PR Writing (that's actually not the happy news- I rather liked that class). We went to Rennie's, a bar across the street from campus. Me, nine other girls, one guy (Peter, bless his soul), and our professor, Michelle. It was fun getting to know my classmates. It's kind of funny how you can spend so much time with people, but not ever get to know them. Since the class sizes of the PR classes at the UO can only be 16 students, I will be spending a lot of time with these fine folks. We're even planning on some outside-of-class hanging out time. Having Law & Order: SVU viewing parties and going to Corvallis to have some of Beth's boyfriends' apple cider beer or whatever it is. It's apple cider. It's fermented. Apparently it gets you drunk. I have no idea what this is.

Michelle is amazingly cool, too. You know, for being old(er). She even bought the first round of drinks. Woohoo.

Don't worry- I didn't drink alcohol. I got a yummy Shirley Temple. Blasted drinking age. 4 1/2 months! Or: 18 weeks. Or: 142 days.

Not that I'm counting.

~*~

But who wants to end on a high note? Time for some more bitching. So guess what I lost this week?

My glucose meter.

Oh yeah. I rock so hard, don't I? Oy.

So I'm on "reserves" right now, which basically entails me stealing Freestyle Flash test strips from the Health Center so I can use my spiffy little Flash that I got a while back during my "Minimed Meter Suck Monkey Butts" phase.

Oh, who I am kidding? The Minimed Meter does suck monkey butts, but unfortunately it's the only one that my insurance wants to pay for. Not that I've utilized my persuasive wiles or anything, but that's not the point.

I have to continue stealing (well, it isn't really stealing since they told me I'm allowed to take them when I need them, though I don't think they mean "Take all of them, Allison, we'll be your supplier of test strips!") until I call BD and lie about my meter breaking so they can send me a new one. Otherwise I have to pay for a new meter, and dammit, 12 years and I have never paid for a meter and I'll be damned if I start now! And since I can't wipe out the Health Centers entire supply of Flash test strips, I have to ration them out. Which means I'm not testing very much. Which means my blood sugars are higher longer than they should. Which means that I have turned into a cynic, shaking my fist at the world and bemoaning my situation.

Where's a black veil when you need one?

Oy vey. Uh huh. It's so bad, we need both Oy and Vey.

~*~

But it's Wednesday and it's Hump Day which means there is only 2 more days until the weekend!

Okay, there's your happy note. You beat it out of me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelsey said...

Allison,

I love your posts! They are so fun to read :)

I hate rationing test strips. It's the worst. Maybe explain your situation to someone at the health center. They might insist you take the strips you need, then you won't feel like you have to ration them. Just a thought.

I had to skip some blood tests a couple weeks ago because my mail order was taking awhile and the 100 strip prescription my doctor gave me had already run out. I called my endo for another prescription and his nurse suggested I come get some samples from the office. :)

Sometimes it pays off to ask for a little help!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Kelsey- Thanks so much! That's such a nice thing to hear.

The Student Health Center is really great. Especially since the campus CDE has 3 kids with diabetes, she definitely understands how it goes.

Called BD and they are sending me another meter. Should be here early next week. But I have other meters (plus my old Logic meter that I found!) so I should be a-ok until it gets here. :-)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

I have about 7 old meters with equally archaic stashes of test strips at my father's house. Boxes and boxes of these things. I could support a small diabetic country on these old supplies.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

My parents made me throw out all the diabetes supplies I don't use. Meters, test strips, lancets, boxes and boxes of this stuff. I'm sure I could have given some of it away, but most of it really is expired and useless.

They didn't want it taking up space in their house, now that I'm "out of the house." We still have some supplies at home, current supplies in case I forget something when I visit. But they still ask me, "Is any of this something we can get rid of?"

Someday, it will all be mine....

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home