Tuesday, March 21, 2006

If I Had One Chance To Tell You Something...

Words. It’s funny how they are fundamental in sharing an idea with another, and yet they can be the most elusive. They are swallowed by fear. They run from confrontation. Overused, the impact of brave, thundering phrases become meek and shallow.

Words. We can hear and read the words, but do we always know what they mean? And when we know what they mean, does that mean we understand what they are trying to tell us?

I am exposed to words everyday. In my classes, while I’m on the phone at work, when I’m sitting in the back of the coffee shop on the 13 Avenue, when I’m sitting in my bed falling asleep to the lyrics of Dahlia and Moby. When I’m reading the newspaper, when I’m instant messaging my friends, when I’m eating lunch in the Memorial Union, when I’m on the bus to Portland. Sitting in the pews at church, when I’m driving in my car and the radio is on too loud, when I’m eating dinner with my family, when I’m at the doctor’s office.

I am exposed to words everyday. Thousands, millions of words. Do I know what the words are trying to tell me?

Words, if heard just enough times from just the right person, can have just enough impact to create just the right kind of emotion to raise just the right questions to cause just the right amount of compliance to just the right reasons.

Think about it.

We’ve seen it dozens of times throughout history. Every revolution started with the right speech or the right phrase or the right emphasis on the right people to cause the right kind of action that left us staring with disbelief and disgust, turning not to our neighbors or children or lover, but to our soul to ask the question that begs the answer: Dear God, how could that happen?

Revolutions are not things that happen quickly. By definition, they are a “drastic and far-reaching change in ways of thinking and behaving.” They start with the right kind of speech (phrase or emphasis) that make you feel safe. They make you feel like someone is fighting for you personally. They make you feel like This will change everything. Change for the better. Change for freedom, change for safety. Change from whatever it is you fear most. Abandonment, poverty, disease, even death.

The book 1984 is a prime example of words being carefully crafted to cause the complacency that happens when people become comfortable with the idea that politicians can create that Change. Historical revolutions did the same thing. Most totalitarian governments did it, too. With words. It’s not until after the words have served their function that the governments can then use force to wield their true purpose. You have to say “yes” first.

Governments aren’t the only ones to do this. Religion has an interesting way of inserting just the right phrase into just the right context so it has just the right message. And, of course, as they say, if it’s from a holy text you can’t argue with it.

I wonder about that sometimes. There’s a new movie that just came out last Friday, you might have heard of it, called V for Vendetta. The Matrix creators produced it. I’m not writing a review, but the movie brought up several points, most of which I just mentioned. In the movie, a futuristic Britain is under the control of a totalitarian government. Their leader is Chancellor Sutler, who in my opinion is an obnoxious and terrifying fascist dictator. If Adolf Hitler and Pat Robertson mated and spawned a child, Chancellor Sutler would be it. Throughout the movie, the regime’s motto is featured in various parts of London: “Strength through unity, unity through faith.” Religious superiority colors the characters and moves them to condone atrocious acts. The symbol of the British party is two crosses, one on top of the other.

The similarities to World War II are apparent, as are the links to present-day America and terrorism. In one scene, a lesbian couple are kidnapped and taken to “detention centers.” One of the women, Valerie, writes secret letters to a fellow prisoner. She describes her life and how it changed when the government came into power, and the torture she is subjected to as a detainee. She eventually dies and is buried, naked, in a mass grave.

It looked like a picture from my high school history book.

The main character, V, is also held captive in the detention center and his experiences fuels his “vendetta” against the government to the point where he relies on violence to undo the damage and free the citizens who capitulate to the restrictions. Now, I could write a completely separate entry on the matter of violence as a means to an end, but that’s not why I’m writing this.

I’m writing about the words. I’m writing about the words that I hear on a daily basis that I fear could be the speeches (phrase or emphasis) that we will eventually look back on and say: “Dear God, how could that happen?”

The words about other races.
The words about other religions.
The words about other political parties.
The words about other lifestyles.

The words that could evolve into the words the characters (the “fictional” characters) in the movie used to convince an entire nation that they were right. That they would bring the right kind of Change. In the past, words were against the Jews. Our new words are against the Arabs, the Muslims, and the homosexual community. We just use the same words against new people.

My grandfathers were Jewish. If there was one thing that haunted me the most when I became a Christian it was leaving my family. I don’t regret becoming a Christian, but I am ashamed of the suffering my grandfathers experienced because of my brothers and sisters in Christ.

If there were ever hate-filled words spoken against you in the name of Jesus, I am so sorry. Jesus taught never to judge or condemn, he taught to love everyone (even those who persecute) and he taught to be generous and humble. He taught that He was whom we should follow. A lot of people won’t listen to Jesus’ Words because of the words we have used. The words we are trying to use to ignite a revolution against those who are different.

If I had one chance to tell you something, if I had one opportunity to use Words and have them mean Something forever, it would be this:

I love you.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allison, from a fellow Allison, here are four words for you. I love you too.

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. This is very thought provoking and... well, an excellent choice of words in itself - very well written.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

Well written, Allison.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Beautiful, Allison.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

That is a great phrase to start a wonderful revolution...oh, wait...That revolution already happened, I think it was called the 60's. LOL We love you too. Great post. Rock on!!!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Thank you for the compliments! I really appreciate it. :-)

6:01 PM  
Blogger Kelsey said...

I'm currently reading "The Modern Researcher" which you may have stumbled across as a journalism major. The entire book is on writing and the construction of our thoughts through words.

Words are incredibly powerful and complicated. What you said about revolutions struck a cord with me since I've been studying the history of Latin America. It's amazing the damage words can do. Often they're much more powerful that physical violence.

As a fellow Christian, I appreciate your thoughts on Jesus' word. It's sad that many people twist and turn the message of Jesus into something condemning and hateful. Jesus message is so simple and full of unconditional love.

Thank you for such an insightful post... I'm eager to go to my seminar and discuss writing tonight! :)

1:14 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Kelsey-

Thanks! I appreciate hearing your thoughts as well. This is something that definitely has been on my heart lately, and it just needed to get out. I'm glad I can share my thoughts with others... and I'm glad they make sense! Sometimes I wonder when I'm writing if my words only make sense to me in my crazy head.

Thanks again! Hope you have a good time at your class tonight. Let me know if you learn anything new.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We’ve seen it dozens of times throughout history. Every revolution started with the right speech or the right phrase or the right emphasis on the right people to cause the right kind of action that left us staring with disbelief and disgust, turning not to our neighbors or children or lover, but to our soul to ask the question that begs the answer: Dear God, how could that happen?"

Gullible people who have no backbone but constantly "search for THE truth" listen to the preaching and because they have no mind of their own, they succumb to the "group" mentality and buy into the brainwashing...religious and political.

"My grandfathers were Jewish. If there was one thing that haunted me the most when I became a Christian it was leaving my family. I don’t regret becoming a Christian, but I am ashamed of the suffering my grandfathers experienced because of my brothers and sisters in Christ."

What words could cause you to leave your grandfathers in the name of religion? I would never choose a religion that told me to abandon my family. Didn't you cause suffering by "leaving your family"? Maybe you should tell your grandfathers you love them.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

This is in response to the point made about me leaving my family. That was a poor choice of words on my part! That is not what I meant to imply. Christianity did not ask nor order me to "leave" my family physically, I meant that in a spiritual sense. As a part of my belief system, I believe that only those who follow Jesus will spent eternity in Heaven with Him. That is a choice that I made for a long list of reasons. My grandfathers were actually both dead by the time I converted, but it was the principle of the matter. I was no longer a part of my family's belief system, I "left" it and chose my own way because I felt it was right.

I am very close with all of my family, and although we don't necessarily agree on religious matters, they are still my family and I didn't abandon them!

I'm sorry for the confusion!

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy am I glad I'm aethiest, what a load of shit

8:55 AM  
Blogger art-sweet said...

Allison,

Thanks for this and for reminding me what wonderful people there are out there in this world.

I'm sorry that a few people chose to use your very well-chosen and thoughtful words against you.

with love,

-art-sweet

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home