Friday, April 07, 2006

Still Alive...

This has definitely been one of those bullet train weeks, the one where you feel like you're still moving even after you've stopped.

I started a new term this week, which means brand-new classes leading to a brand-new work schedule leading to brand-new eating and sleeping pattern leading to brand-new insulin requirements leading to brand-new anxiety. Gee, and for a moment I was worried I wouldn't have enough going on.

Class shcedule is fairly decent. Monday and Wednesdays are 10-3:30 p.m. with one 1 hour break. Tuesday and Thursday have one class that is over at noon. Friday has one class from 1-2 p.m. Yes, this sucks, but it's still early enough, and I get to sleep in. Classes this term are as follows: Public Relations Planning & Problems, International Communication, Religious Life in the U.S. and Intro to the Non-Profit Sector (which I could teach). The funny thing with the Non-Profit class is they are not allowing us to use the non-profit we happen to volunteer with for our Midterm and Final Projects. Which means I can't use diabetes. Man, this totally ruins my streak of using diabetes for all my college projects. Oh well. I suppose I should "expand my horizons" and "try something new."

Work continues to not be much fun, though we are calling returning donors (thus, people who actually like the University already and are not waiting for me to tell them why we are so awesome). I work Sunday, Monday and Thursday.

Monday was adjusting to classes and work, Tuesday had one class with some downtime and then an embroidery class at the Craft Center, and more classes on Wednesday. I had discovered that I was mentioned in this month's issue of Diabetes Health, but couldn't find the article on the internet. Luckily, Scott Strumello from Diabetes Talkfest had a copy and scanned it for me. Which you can view here. Click to see the full-size page.



Thursday didn't accomplish a whole lot though I was thoroughly exhausted by the end of the day. Class ended at noon and I grabbed a pizza from the Memorial Union because I hadn't eaten anything so far that day (eating as been a bit frazzled this week), and I ate while I walked to my hair appointment. Then I had coffee at Full City with my friend Dana. Afterwards, I walked to Oregon Hall to pick up my paycheck (at least a mile, if not two, from Full City). But, upon arrival, discovered I had left my wallet at Full City. Walked all the freaking way back. Arrived, grabbed it off the table, and decided that the "kinda funny feeling" in my legs was a full-fledged low. I walked about a block, making my way to the Subway three blocks down, when it suddenly dawned on me that I *was* a good little diabetic and *had* brought juice with me. Go me. Seriously, it was like finding a $5 I didn't know I had.

Today was equally busy, with me going to Oregon Hall to (finally) pick up the aforementioned paycheck, meeting with an internship advisor, taking the bus to pick up much needed insulin (I had, oh, 12 units left), picking up my Greyhound ticket, going back to the house and send a few necessary emails and pack, going to class, realizing that I left my bus ticket at home but subsequently discovering that I had not 25 minutes until the bus boarded but 1 hour and 25 minutes. Going back to house, retrieved ticket, walking back to the bus station. Arriving at Greyhound.

Am now in Portland for the Children's Diabetes Seminar and JDRF Gala. And even though it's only 10:30 p.m. I'm thinking about calling it an early(ish) night.

2 Comments:

Blogger BetterCell said...

Hi Allison.....What do you like doing in addition to writing?

6:48 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

You mean there are other things to do besides writing? No way.

Just kidding.

Actually, there's a lot I like to do besides writing, though college and work don't leave much time for other things. I love to hang out with my friend Annie at this coffee shop called Espresso Roma and drink coffee and read and chit-chat. I love hanging out with my friends in general, actually, watching movies or going out to eat. I used to go to a Christian youth group, but I decided I didn't like going to the one I went to freshman and sophomore year, and I haven't found another one I like. I love going to downtown Portland and walking around and visiting my favorite stores. I like reading a lot, though I don't seem to do it that much. I love to travel and sight-see, and I try to do that several times a year. I also like to ride my bike during the summer, and I just brought it down from my parent's to school this weekend so maybe I will have some riding stories to share soon!

Other than that, I do spend a lot of time on diabetes projects. I volunteer, I spend time working on my website, I read blogs like they're going out of style and I keep up on the latest news and what people are talking about on several message boards.

And I write.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home