Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Back in that Portland Suburb

Well, I've officially moved back to Portland. Survived packing and loading the trailer in 95-degree heat. Sunday has to have been the most ridiculous day of my entire life.

First, I had to move all of my furniture out of my room Saturday so I could clean. This meant I had to sleep on the couch (actually, a *loveseat*) Saturday night. I got about 6 hours of sleep before the sun and the sounds of my housemates woke me up. I got dressed and drove over to Roma for my last cup of coffee and an apple turnover. Mmm. Yum.

Drove back to the house and packed up more boxes, did my dishes and watched some PBS. My parents weren't coming until around 1:30 in the afternoon, so I knew I could take some time and clean, watch TV, clean, watch more TV. I call my landlord to tell her I'll be moving soon, but she doesn't answer so leave a message (I never hear back from her). While I'm leaving the message, I notice out of my bedroom wheel that there is a bike wheel attached to the bike rack. A bike wheel *by itself*. Then, I noticed the abandoned bike wheel is from *my bike*. My freaking bike was stolen, one that I never used and really shouldn't have brought to Eugene in the first place. The bike was there on Friday, last I looked. Now, no more bike. I call my parents and they're a little upset, but there really isn't anything we can do about it.

At about 1:00, my roommate Yuliya decides we should go to the mall, so we get into my car. My car doesn't start.

Nothing. It's not just that the engine didn't start, or the starter didn't really start, but nothing. Dead silence.

Which is weird since I just *drove* the car not even three hours earlier. What. The. Crap. So first my bike is stolen, and now my car won't start. I call my parents and let them know what's up, and they tell me to contact Campus Public Safety so we can get it jump-started.

Except public safety doesn't work on weekends, apparently. I spend about 20 minutes calling random people to see if anyone is in town, but can't get a hold of anyone by the time my parents arrive. My dad wants to track down the place we bought the battery, since he thinks it might be drained since I never drive far enough to recharge it. However, we can't find the place, so he ends up buying jumper cables. We're driving back to my house when my mother's contact falls out, my friend Annie calls me back to tell me she doesn't have jumper cables, and my dad realizes that our jumper cables are actually sitting in the trunk of my car!

At this point, my dad turns to me and asks, "Allison, are you being punished for something?"

We end up getting the car working again (there was just some dust on the connectors on the battery...) and we load up the car in 95-degree heat. Yesterday was even hotter. We broke an all-time record with 102 degrees in the Portland area. Unbelievable. I know I shouldn't be complaining compared to the other weather going on in this country, but seriously. 102 is just too hot for anyone.

I still haven't done much unpacking because of the heat. I just want to climb into my freezer and stay there until our nice 75 degree summer days come back. 75, blue skies and all that green. It's basically why Oregonians can stand our 9 months of gray rainy weather. My brother and I moved his desk and my dresser back into my room, and we almost died trying to drag the dresser up the stairs from the garage. Laughing, carrying a heavy object, and stairs are a bad combination.

In other news, I've started my official duties as JDRF office intern on Monday, so that's fun. We are going to a taping of a local TV morning show tomorrow and on Saturday there is a rummage sale fundraiser for a Walk team.

And hopefully this blasted heat will go away so I can actually feel like a functioning human being again...

2 Comments:

Blogger Johnboy said...

Whoa...what a day to forget! How was your bg through all that madness?

Glad you are in place now at JDRF. Sound like you're in for an intesting summer! :)

3:31 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

The BGs were actually really good! I woke up at 140. When I realized I was going to have to spend my time finding jumper cables instead of eating, I lower my basal to 70% because I was afraid of going low with all my activity and all my food was packed away. I didn't end up eating lunch until about 2:00 with my mom. My BG then was 140, too! So that was awesome. When we got on the road, I was 112. But half way home I went low so we stopped at Dairy Queen. I ended up going low again later that night around midnight. So mostly all was good... thank God for temp basals though!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home