Friday, May 26, 2006

Contemplations of an Almost Adult

BUT A MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND FRIDAY! WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm terribly excited about this, as it is the only three-day weekend us college students here at the U of O have for the entire term. Ah, how I miss the day of lower education, where conferences and teacher in-service days were sprinkled throughout the calendar, making it seem as though a 4-day week was actually a permanent fixture. I swear, we had more 3-day weekends than 2-day weekends.

And they wonder why we don't learn anything anymore...

Anyhow, that's really not why I'm updating. Lots of stuff going on... classes, meetings, work, sleep, physical therapy, etc. etc. I have about thirty things "in the works" but nothing is solidified so I don't really have anything new and exciting to share. I was going to say that my internship with the Oregon/SW Washington JDRF chapter is now official, but I've sort of been saying that since January so that's 1) not really new news and 2) I haven't even registered to get college credit for it so technically it isn't even official yet.

I am so lazy.

Oh! I have something exciting to share. I met the editor-in-chief of the Chicago Tribune yesterday. Her name is Ann Marie Lipinski. She is a very cool lady. She was on campus to talk about ethics in media for the School of Journalism and Communication's annual Ruhl lecture. She's very smart. The Oregon Daily Emerald wrote an article about it here. I actually talked to her at the reception for about 10 minutes, mostly about the School of Journalism and a little bit about how she runs a newsroom of 650 reporters. Yikes! It was kind of strange though, while I was talking to her, this photographer came over and started taking pictures of us talking. For about 5 minutes. I kept seeing this flash out of the corner of my eye and I thought, "No wonder celebrities hate having their pictures taken! It is SO DISTRACTING!"

I am such a snob.

But it was a nice way to end my week, because now I get to suffer in the library all of Memorial Day weekend because of my academic negligence this week. Only two more weeks, plus finals, left in my 3rd year as a college student!

Yeah, that's right, I'm GRADUATING next year!!!

::screams::

I'm gonna be an adult!! In the Real World.

Now that's a terrifying thought.

Except, I've sort of been an adult since I was like, oh, twelve. My dad says I was one of those "eight going on twenty-eight" kind of kids. Those freakishly mature youngsters. Yep. I was one of them.

I was like Joseph, only a girl.

But I had a younger brother, not a younger sister. And I'm not from Wisconsin. And I don't like sports.

But other than that, just like him.

My friend Ashleigh posted an entry about graduating on her blog a couple weeks ago, and I thought it was really appropriate. She wrote:
There's a week left in my junior year. Which means, in about a year and a week, I'll be done here. College will be over and I'll officially be a grown up. (Has anyone else noticed that I keep putting off this "officially-a-grown-up" thing? I said that when I was turning 18... and then when I turned 20... and then when I turned 21... and now I'm claiming it'll be at college graduation... and then it'll probably be when I'm married... and then it'll probably be when I have kids.... Wow, this could go on for years. Maybe I'll just save myself the hassle now and decide that I'm only a grown-up when I'm dead. That could work...)

I'm totally with her on that one.

I'm a grown-up when I'm dead.

5 Comments:

Blogger Johnboy said...

What a hilarious post! Tell us when one of those 5 minutes of pictures makes it into some publication. I'd love to see one.

I used to think that I never wanted to grow up. Now I realize that life really made me do it...BUT, I have reserved some room to let the kid in me out to play from time to time.

When the kid part of me dies, I agree that I will probably be dead or as good as it.

Have a great 3-day weekend!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Unfortunately, our photo did not make it into the publication. But it was still an interesting experience.

As for growing up, part of me thinks I already have, part of me thinks I never will... I'm sure it will end up somewhere in between, and I think I would be happy with that.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Allison - I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up .... and I'm 34 years old.

I don't think I'll ever grow up - even though I have two kids and three goldfish LOL .... I'm a kid at heart!

Have a good long weekend :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Jimmy Buffett (the closest thing I have to a personal philospher) said "I'm growing older but not up." I think that can be a good way to live. And to be honest, I know very few adults who actually feel like adults. I know I'm always waiting to get busted - like someone's going to come bursting in and say "Whoa, hold on just one minute here. Who thought it would be a good idea to let you have CHILDREN? And a HUSBAND? And a HOUSE? You? There's obviously been a HUGE error here." And then I'll slink away sheepishly, knowing full well they're absolutely right.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Julia- I sometimes feel that way now, and I'm only 20! Sometimes I think I have it backwards and that I'm actually going to be turning 12 instead of 21.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home