Sunday, May 14, 2006

Discoveries

Last Monday, I discovered that I have an inflamed spinal disc in my lower back, which has been causing back pain (at times excruciating) since Winter Break. It will require physical therapy and has prompted a legitimate need to get in shape (my muscles need to be doing a better job of holding up my body. My spine is starting to get a little TO'd).

Last Tuesday, I discovered that the thing I deplore most about humanity is their ability to use hate and fear as persuasion, most recently, the Genocide Awareness Projects use of Holocaust photos and images of aborted fetuses to convince the students of the University of Oregon that abortion is a bad thing. I am pro-life, but I am also pro-communication, and this presentation, which I discovered last Wednesday, does not encourage communication. It encourages anger and distrust and guilt and saddness. I am pro-life and I do not support G.A.P.

Last Wednesday, I also discovered that I have been accepted to the Portland Experience. The Portland Experience is a term-long satellite program for Public Relations students at the UO Journalism school. I will be taking my last two classes along with a paid internship. I'm not sure where the internship will be, but I've requested that I work at an agency in Portland. This is to ensure that I have some kind of marketable job experience outside of the diabetes industry (you know, just in case hell freezes over, pigs start flying and the moon turns blue causing me to not get a job working for some diabetes related company/organization. Always better to be safe.).

Last Thursday, I discovered there is absolutely no place in Eugene's Fifth Street Market where you can get gift wrapping done. I bought Johnboy a book for his birthday, and had to drive back to the bookstore the next day to get it gift wrapped when I discovered there was no place near the post office where I could get it done. He knows it's a book, so I'm not ruining anything. And as soon as he opens it, I will tell you all what I got him because I think it's seriously THE BEST FREAKING BOOK EVER (next to the Bible, of course).

Last Saturday, I rediscovered the reason why I am so afraid of dying. So many wonderful people, so much compassion, such little time. Most of the time I'm afraid of losing people, but deep inside, in that quiet place where the tears sleep, I'm afraid of leaving.

Today, I discovered that I missed my 100th post by two. "More About Moi" was the centesimal post, although it wasn't anything spectacular aside from even more random information about my life. However, I would like to take a sentence or two and say, again: Thank you for reading, thank you for commenting, thank you for posting your own stories of fun and frustration, always asking "Is it just me?"

Because it isn't just you and as Kerri says, "We most certainly are not alone."

To all my Fine Blogging Friends and Resident Lurkers: You pretty much rock my socks off.

Here's to another 100. (Er, 97...)

6 Comments:

Blogger Johnboy said...

Hey, sounds like you had a very enlightening week! Congrats on The Portland Experience. It sounds wonderful!

About the back...before I launched off for FitnessLand last fall, I pulled some kind of muscle in my side...who knows how. Anyway, I thought that maybe it was a kidney stone and went to the ER for 5 miserable hours. It turned out that I just needed to get into better shape. You can do it! Small steps first.

About the birthday thing, I still can't believe you are actually sending a present! You are so sweet!!

7:44 AM  
Blogger art-sweet said...

Congratulations on the internship!

That's fantastic news.

I'm pro-choice, but I still wish that we could create a culture that truly supports life. A culture where women have the information they need to make and uphold their own reproductive choices. A culture where we support life after birth, not just before... Maybe then fewer women would feel the need to have abortions.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Congrats on your acceptance to the Portland Experience! I knew you would get it!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Oh, and I hope the disc thing gets better soon!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Thanks! I'm really excited about the internship and as soon as I found out where it will be I will post that!

And hopefully I will get my back fixed soon. I'm switching to another physical therapist on Thursday (one that's covered by my insurance!) so hopefully that will start helping.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Congrats on 100 posts (even though you missed it by a few lol), congrats on the internship too. I'm sorry to hear about your back though. I suffer from back pain as well and it's NOT fun. I've started doing some back stretches and such in the hopes that it starts to get better *sigh*.

Anyhow, looking forward to your next 100 posts!

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home